Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Despite All My Rage


A few months ago I was given scientific research from one of the St. Jude Scientist to create a piece based on what I was given. I was given a small bone scan of a mole rat. After speaking with the scientist I learned that they were turning on and off single genes in the developmental stage of growth to try and determine what causes cleft lips. With this in mind all I could think about was how complex this simple creature must be at that level. So when I started working on this I decided to break the image up and zoom in on small sections of the mouse in an attempt to show the beauty and complexity of these small sections. After I had broken the mouse into 28 pieces I rearranged the images to add even more complexity and create a puzzle like series of images that can be arranged to recreate the original image.

Despite All My Rage

Beauty comes from multiple places. Both physical and the beauty of the soul. As humans our souls are trapped in the body we are given. Some of the bodies are strong and powerful. Others are beautiful and delicate. But not all of them are perfect physically and the beauty they hold is within. Many people feel like rats in a cage in their bodies, they don’t know that the inner beauty can save a lost soul. With science we can see the inner beauty and hope to cure some of the physical to make the outer beauty match the inner.





    Mitchell Dunnam










No comments:

Post a Comment